[TenTec] OMNI VI+ Attributes

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Sat Oct 4 15:03:46 EDT 2003

I agree with several previous posters re the OMNI VI's attributes. For a CW
receiver, it's hard to beat. The IC-746PRO is also excellent, but it
doesn't have stuff CW ops want to have at hand. Also very good are the
FT-1000MPs, but Yaesu's crude implementation of audio DSP leaves  me cold.
Still, a new Mark V Field with dual receive, built-in tuner and PS sells
for $1,730 shipped. That's tough competition in any league.

The Orion I am afraid is out of my price range, one reason I did not go to
the Ten-Tec hamfest. Why place yourself in temptation's way? The revised
manual is a humungous improvement over the original.

73,
John, W3ULS