[TenTec] Scout Questions

w8au at sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Sat Oct 11 11:52:40 EDT 2003

At 12:38 AM 10/11/2003, you wrote:
>Did the early rigs transmit full power in the tune position?

YES

>According to the manual and from everything I have read it says 15 watts
>on tune.

A LATER CHANGE.

>How does the mobile bracket attach to the radio?

REMOVE THE TOP COVER SCREWS, PUT THE BRACKET IN PLACE.  REPLACE SCREWS.

>I have read that the factory bracket was not very substantial and would
>like to fabricate one of my own if possible.

THIS IS THE THING TO DO.  USE 1/8" ALUMINUM.  ORIGINAL IS THIN STEEL.

the goal is to use it mobile. I have it installed mobile now but needing to
do a little more work on the wiring and grounding and mounting. This is my
first attempt at HF mobile besides 10M and it seems to be a bit of a challenge.

BE SURE TO CUSHION YOUR MOUNTING.  (WITHIN THE BRACKET)  THE PTO IS SO
CLOSE TO THE TOP/BOTTOM COVERS THAT ANY MOVEMENT OF SAME WILL CAUSE FREQ TO
MOVE SLIGHTLY.

  I have never thought about SWR changing at hiway speeds.

YES, OVERHEAD BRIDGES WILL AMAZE YOU (IF YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE SWR!).  THE
FAST ACTING BREAKERS MAY TRIP IF YOU
ARE TRANSMITTING WHEN NEAR A BRIDGE OR LARGE TREE BRANCH.   IF YOU'RE USING
A FUSE ONLY, THE SLOW-BLOW TYPES ARE
FORGIVING OF THIS SOMEWHAT.

HAVE FUN...

PERRY   W8AU   (STILL A CW/MOBILE USER OF SCOUT AFTER TEN YEARS.....)