[TenTec] Sale

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:10:17 EDT 2003

W5YR wrote:
On the whole, the person who eventually receives the ORION in question would
have gotten a much better deal from Ten Tec in terms of warranty and other
support had the unit been returned according to the Ten Tec plan.

         I agree completely George.  When I bought my Orion, warranty was
a key consideration.  Since this is a fairly complex radio, I expected
there could be some problems not addressable in firmware updates.  TT's
12 month warranty applies only to new products and to the original
purchaser.  I also paid with a Visa Platinum card which automatically
doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to 12 months additional, thus my
unit is warranted for a total of 24 months.  To me, this was well worth
the money saved by purchasing a used unit, either directly from TT
(1 month warranty extended to 2) or an individual (no warranty).

         So far, I haven't seen anything in Orion itself that would require
a return trip to the factory, although I did buy a second-hand (but new
in June) TT219 250 Hz filter which had out-of-spec insertion loss. TT
did replace that filter even though they were not required to do so
under their warranty...Kudos to TT for doing that!  It just reinforced
my very high opinion of this company and its management.

                                                 73, Bill  W4ZV