[TenTec] PTO - mechanical problem. help!

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 16:03:02 EDT 2003

Hi Guys,

I need some help or ideas on this PTO I have mounted
in a Corsair II here. I've determined to swap out the
PTO entire box, and have put out a WTB for same, but
maybe someone on the list has solved a similar
problem.

If the PTO is dialed from (any band) XX.045 khz slowly
to XX.033 khz and then VERY slowly further for about 1
khz while listening to a CW signal, there will come a
point where the CW note no longer sounds "pure". Stop
tuning at this point and it sounds like that PISTOL in
the PTO is on a teeter-totter. The received signal
will hop up or down by 50 hz or so every few seconds,
then return to center.

If I dial from a lower frequency to a higher one, the
problem is much harder to duplicate. It seems that the
action of the PTO winding tighter is the problem
issue. I also duplicated the problem at the high end
of the bands where the top spring is the least
compressed.

My assumption is that the PISTOL may be worn
internally where it rides the worm gear and possibly
rough or chipped in there.

Either that, or the PTO box is not square and in good
alignment, and at the front of the box where there
should be 3 bearings pressing in the race, there are
only two and that's allowing the entire shaft to
vibrate a little.

I've spoken with Paul at Ten Tec about this, and he
wanted me to send the rig in, but up until now it was
an intermittent problem, very hard to duplicate and
I've learned not to send items in for repair in that
condition. Now that I can duplicate and describe the
problem, maybe someone here on the list has seen it
themselves.

I have rebuilt the PTO several times using all
possible spacer counts and greases. I've Super Glued
those toroids on the pistol and the coil form to it's
plastic mount. I've resoldered the entire PC board.

Anyone having any nifty suggestions, things to try, or
even a spare Corsair PTO box for sale - I'd really
like to finally nail this problem down!

Thanks,
Don Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6
Carlsbad, Ca.