[TenTec] 253 Auto tuner questions

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sun Sep 14 19:00:48 EDT 2003

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. Your method would provide 7 X 4 memorized
tuner settings and only one antenna output from the 253. For the time
being, that will probably suffice, since I only have one antenna up
right now anyway. I figure about 5 memories for 160, 5 for 80/75, 5 for
40, 1 for 30, and the remaining for the rest of the bands will be
plenty. Maybe later I'll make some kind of diode matrix to use the band
information from the radio, so that I'll only need to use the manual
switch for low CW, medium CW, high CW and fone, with the band select
done automatically. Eventually though I would sure like to have multiple
tunings on each band AND have multiple antennas selectable AND have it
automatic.

I wonder if anyone can tell me whether U8 holds just the tune memories,
and the auto tune algorithm and other control program is burned in the
U9 uP chip, or if the program is also stored in U8 and gets loaded into
U9 at power up. In other words, if I removed U8 and replaced it with a
completely empty EEPROM of the same type, would the tuner still have the
"operating system" in the uP chip? What I am thinking about doing is
making a plug in memory expansion breadboard to replace U8.

Ken N6KB