[TenTec] Centurion experience

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:52:11 EDT 2003

I have generally been pleased with my Centurion.  It is enough amp for the
type of operating I do.  If anything it's almost too much (wattage).   It's
a real nice ragchew and casual dx amp.  By that I mean, if I were a serious
contester and wall paper chaser I'd probably want some kind of 2 x 4cx800
amp that could run at or near the limit for 48 hours of contesting.  but
most of the time I yak with my buddies on 75 and 40 and need a boost for
armchair copy over the noise level--it's great for that, running fairly cool
at around 700 or 800 watts peak.  If I do a geezer transmission at 1.2 kw
it'll get pretty hot.  There's a tradeoff for the quiet operation--reduced
cooling but as I said earlier, for noncompetitive operating it's fine.
Minor (to me) nits:  Somewhat reduced output on WARC bands and high input
swr on the tuned input on 75 meters up near 4 MHz.  As you move up between
3.95 and 4 the input swr zooms up to around 2+:1.  Pros:  Great metering,
standard features, and I think it's built real well.
If I ever get another amp I'll keep it to have as a standby.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ