[TenTec] 450 ohm Feed Line - N5BEA

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Wed Apr 14 18:55:07 EDT 2004

N0KHQ at aol.com wrote:

> Make sure your feed line is cut for 1/4 wave at your lowest band/frequency of
> operation.

I'm getting the ladder line bug and am wondering how to feed it - the
shack is between the outside wall of the house and the 2 car garage.  So
I run about 55 feet of coax today from the shack, through the wall along
the ceiling of the garage before going out the wall of the house to the
mast and then about 40 feet into the air.

That said, the route the coax takes is along no metal or near any metal
- only the metal pole outside is where I will have to come up with some
creative method to keep the ladder line away from the pole.  I have read
that anywhere from 4 inches to 18 inches is recommended to keep the
ladder line away from the mast.

> Spend a couple of extra bucks...order a B4-2KX...4:1 Current Balun from Radio
> Works for multiband operation. The Balun can be placed just outdoors before
> entering the house or bring it in the house within 10 to 12 feet of your
> station then RG-8 to the tuner.

That's another idea i'm thinking about - just using the coax I have now
and running the ladder line to the 4:1 balun and then coax through the
rest of the house.  But I have no idea how well this will work.

All of this needs to run in the presence of full legal limit power so
i'm not sure what other considerations there are...

Thanks,
Jason N1SU