[TenTec] Re: Orion - Jupiter Mic Ground and Other Stuff

N0KHQ at aol.com N0KHQ at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 13:07:37 EDT 2004

If you experience a "hum" using an SDR type of rig. You need to check the
120vac you are using. I strongly suggest that these rigs use a dedicated 120vac
circuit. I use the same circuit that our clothes washer is using. That way, if
the washer is not running the circuit is clean. Avoid using multiple
receptacles for your station.......instant ground loop. Avoid using the same power
circuits that may be tied into other appliances. Instant TVI and other bad stuff.
Keep your computer monitor as far away from your station as you can. If you
cant then you will have to change the monitor refresh rate......try 85hz.

Another thing you will want to do is to use a TT-1251 RF Counterpoise Tuner
with buried radials for each band/frequency you plan on using. It works!!

If you look inside the Orion, Jupiter and Peg you will notice that the mic +
and Mic Grnd go to a board, and from there......who knows.

I suggest that a ground wire be attached to the mic connector (on the inside)
and then grounded to the chassis. The shield of your mic cable will ground to
the mic cable connector. This will provide a balanced input for your mic.

For more information on grounding and providing power to computer systems
please visit the Internet and start reading.

If you use an audio transformer such as a Jenson your mic will not be
physically connected to the rig......it will be connected magnetically.

Once you get a handle on how to provide proper grounding and proper power for
SDR type rigs your problems will go away.

If you are unhappy with your Orion/Jupiter and you dont want to invest the
time to correct the above issues then I suggest you send the rig back to TT or
sell it.

These rigs are computers in an RF environment and should be treated as such.

To those hams that are not experiencing any grounding or power
issues......thats great.

I'm going to do a small write up and possibly to have it published on the
Unofficial Ten-Tec site soon.

Have a good day. :-)

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/17mcoaxmox.html
http://www.cebik.com/n0khq.html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/