[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion + Enhanced S/N at Narrow Filter Bandpass + Audio DSP

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Mon Apr 19 14:00:01 EDT 2004

OK, Chas.  I already commented to an earlier respondent with a similar
opinion, but I wanted to mention a couple more things things.

I have installed all of the available roofing filters in my Orion.
There was an article several years ago in QST about enhancing S/N ratio
by using narrow filter selectivity and adjustment of RF gain.  I had
been using both of those techniques for many years, but had never heard
a reasoned, technical explanation for why it works.  On the other hand,
I have read comments from other competent, experienced hams that have
said that the article was essentially "hooey."  Despite their comments,
I cannot be emphatic enough when I tell you that I can bring weak CW
signals strikingly out of the mud by merely cranking down on the BW
control on the Orion.  The effect is quite dramatic.  (I should also add
I can usually obtain similar performance from the MP, but it requires
utilizing both narrow selectivity, RF gain adjustment and the audio DSP.)

I am also comparing the Orion NR performance against a JPS NIR-12 on the
audio output.  There is no doubt that the Dynamic Peak feature on the
NIR-12 improves S/N and copyability even when the Orion's NR is
activated.  You may want to hang on to your outboard audio DSP unit, if
you have one.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments on these observations.

73, Joe