[TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info

Ve3bmv at aol.com Ve3bmv at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 12:50:48 EDT 2004

You know what the problem is?

Poor design of "amazing" radio. It is unthinkable to design communications
transceiver that cannot take some amount of RF field. All it takes few
capacitors, a choke here and there, proper shielding or optoinsulator and following
some basic design guidelines.
RF should not be getting into the RF transceiver, period!

It is not a technical problem, but a "designer" and manufacturer problem.
Want example? I designed industrial controller based on Apple II, had it
running automated line using 50 kW RF generator next to it doing induction
heating. Still works.
Another one was pulse laser marking machine doing 30 kV discharges.

When I mentioned and reviewed Orion on my web site www.K3BU.us I was "eaten"
by the TT cult worshipers. I pointed out improper mike connector connections,
missing PTT on CW, improper grounding of mike leads, confusing schematics and
more. Now you will slowly "discover" those things on your own and if more of
you will complain, maybe you will have maker make some changes (you can't do
it).

It is kind of balsam on my "wounds" to see that things I brought up as
necessary, are being finally implemented, after being told by Scott that "maybe
Orion is not for me".
Maybe it is not, finally I have had enough of it and I am putting it up for
auction sale. Anyone interested in this collectors item, "famous" for being
object of K3BU review, can place closed bid for it. Need to make room for the
"Dream Radio One". It is coming along, those interested can watch the
www.computeradio.us web for progress. It will definitely not have problems that other
radios have, it is being designed by the CR Dream Team. Stay tuned.

73 Yuri, VE3BMV