[TenTec] RFI and Orion Mic connector - bad info

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 15:47:03 EDT 2004

Yuri, my Alpha Delta DXCC (all I have room for until the new house is finished) runs directly over my operating position and the Orion at less than 20 feet up. The GAP voyager is less than 30 feet away, through the back wall of the house. Those antennas are on the Orion's "antenna 2" line. There is NO RFI with 1500 watts out of the Titan II. There was NO RFI when either the Alpha or the Centurion was in the low band (antenna 2) position.

And there's NO RFI when the antenna 1 output is in use, whether the Alpha or the Titan I - or the Ameritron AL1500 - are on line, whether I use the quad at about 90 feet from the rig or the Tennadyne T8 at roughly 50 feet.

Despite the fact that this shack is in a VERY high RF field more than 80 percent of my operating time, the only time we have seen RF in a rig was when I had other rigs here for shootouts. Among others, rigs with RF in the rig problems included the Mark V and FT1000D, and the 756 Pro II.

For emphasis, NONE of the Ten Tec rigs here have EVER had RFI. Originally, I used a stock 705. Now the mike is one the Ten Kit version of the 705, modified for a toggle type PTT switch to favor my arthritic hands. The ground shielding is in accordance with what I was taught some 57 years ago - the shields are separate from the mike b- line, connect to the mike connector shell at the connector end, and to the gooseneck at the mike end. And I don't remember offhand whether there's a connection to the mike PC board but I think there's a ground lug at the corner of the board.

Bottom line - in my experience the Orion and Ten Tec rigs generally are pretty well RF isolated. If you have RF in your rig figure out what's picking up the RF and fix the problem.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on