[TenTec] RFI

Richard Hemingway rheming1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 15:46:43 EDT 2004

I guess I will put in my 2 cents worth.  I used to have a great
station when we lived in a house and did have some RFI problems.
However, we are now living in a retirement apartment where I am
severely antenna and power challenged. The Orion I have does a great
job of listening - better than any radio I have owned over the years
(FT-1000D, Omni VI, Scout, IcomProII - which I sold to buy the
Orion).  I am using a Isotron 20 antenna sitting on the top of my
bookcase pointing out the window, which is about five feet diagonally
from the Orion.  I have chokes on the line at the Orion and the
antenna.  I operate at about 10-20 watts, mostly on CW and PSK, and
now have not problems with RFI either in my computer (Apple G5) or
radio.  I had a small  problem with the computer before the chokes. I
would think that my rig and m yself are bathed in some RFI. Anyway, I
sure like the Orion and have been making contacts over most of the US
and into Canada

Dick N5XRD