[TenTec] Grounding

Pol k7nhb at quickdata.com
Fri Apr 23 20:12:33 EDT 2004

Not to chime in with a "...me too..." but I figure if we get a
critical mass of "...me too..." those doubting that "surges happen"
will see the light. I live in Central Oregon and we do NOT get a lot
of lightening storms. But occasionally one passes though....or
something happened because one day my door bell quit working. I
looked at it, after a friend said they had to knock 'cause the bell
was a silent as the "p" in swimming. It looked as if one of two
plungers was fused - because I couldn't associate causality, I wasn't
sure what I was seeing. Then I noticed the electric garage door
wasn't opening/closing as usual and a day or two later it started
singing with the choir invisible.

My point is - my computer room and 7 piece stereo station were all on
the same circuit - all surge protected - even if with the cheapest
OfficeMax device. But they were all fine. I don't know what it was -
there was no Notice from the Power Company that anything had
happened. But it seems somehow a tsunami of a power surge visited the
house and took out all the unprotected gear on that one line. Cost me
$13 for a new door bell and around $63 for a new Garage Door
Controller board.

73,

Paul