[TenTec] Basic question - Long

David W LeJeune, Sr lejeuned at centurytel.net
Mon Aug 2 08:26:06 EDT 2004

Actually, some of us do - from scratch!

Dave K5WNV

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]On Behalf Of Steve Weber
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 9:01 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Basic question - Long

Golly Gee!

You built your own computer???  Really???  You went to the beach,
brought home a bucket of sand and made your own chips?  Mined and
smelted your own copper?  Designed and built your own microprocessor?
Mined your own iron ore, made steel, rolled it into sheets to make
the chassis?

Or did you plug a bunch of prefabricated subassemblies into a
prefabricated motherboard, mount them into a prefabricated case with
a prefabricated power supply.

Lighten up already.  None of us build our own computers.

Sheesh!

>  > Don't stop...since we can't talk about the Orion firmware
>>  on the Ten Tec
>>  reflector...we can bash computers!
>
>ok.
>
>>  Yep, it was Gates who once said that...I think that was >
>>  way before  there
>>  was an orange..er..an apple...
>
>Apple existed way before gates.
>

>>  Hmmmm...where can I get some Apple software that will run
>>  385 servers
>>  spread
>>  across the country...that will NOT fail?
>
>Try BEA.
>

>And, oh yes, don't try to have those windows
>servers actually try to do something other than
>the occasional file sharing. They will crash.
>I have seen systems that repeatedly crashed
>windows (NT) because they could not service
>requests fast enough, then recompile those
>systems for unix without one line change
>and have the unix boxes run at 35% cpu
>utilization. Windows is ok if you don't
>actually use it, or need to make changes.
>maybe.
>

>>What COM ports? Only reason we
>>  need
>>  COM ports now is to run ham software.
>
>So, how is the support guy gonna connect?
>Most sites still need to have the warm
>fuzzy feeling that they can hang up the
>telephone rather then opening their network
>up for remote connects.
>

>>  OH yea, I've been running WinXPpro
>>  on
>>  my three home made PC's also for three years with NO
>crashes.
>
>I refer you to my earlier comment about actually using it.
>
>>  By the
>>  way,
>>  did you build your MAC?
>
>No, I didn't have to.
>What exactly did you actually build?
>
>this is fun..
>
>73,
>bill w6eet

Steve Weber

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

*******************************

Hey spammers - Harvesting email addresses? Don't overlook these guys!

FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell: mpowell at fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: kabernat at fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps: mcopps at fcc.gov
FCC Commissioner Kevin J. Martin: kjmweb at fcc.gov