[TenTec] Tennessee Dreamin'

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Aug 2 20:07:38 EDT 2004

Wasn't the Scout in the $500 price class?  (I guess $800 would have included
ALL of the band modules... and PS and mike and more... but I digress)

Nor would I say it "flopped" as it was around for a good many years.  But
every rig... and this will apply even to the Orion and the IC7800 and so
forth... has a life span; at some point, technology will have progressed to
the point where updating or replacing a radio outright makes more economic
sense than continuing an older product line.  (Now, how long that lifespan
can be, that's a whole 'nother can of worms...)

The Century 21 was an interesting radio.  It might have sold better if it
had not been a CW only rig... and that's not a knock on the rig, just a
perception of the ham market of the time.  I always liked the C21, and the
C22 that followed it, for their simplicity of design and effectiveness for
what you could do with them.  As I recall, the lack of WARC bands brought
the C21 to it's end of life, and somehow, the C22 just didn't seem to pick
up well from there.  Why?  For a whole host of market reasons, but I don't
know them well enough to digress into that.

The Heath single banders, as I recall, were originally meant to be used as
mobile rigs.  They served a nice niche in their day (1960's into the very
early '70's -- I think) but were not as cost effective as "upgrading" to an
HW-100 5 band rig if you needed all 5 HF bands at the time.

I strongly suspect that the Argonaut V could possibly serve as a nice mobile
rig... if only it were 100 W out.  If I were asked by the gang in Tennessee
for my opinion, I'd suggest doing just that -- and coming up with some sort
of remote-control head, so that you could put the rig in the trunk and just
keep the controller up front with you.  But since I doubt you could do all
this for under $1K in today's market, I don't expect to see this.  But it
would be nice... and a lot more practical, both to use and to sell, than a
single-band/single-mode rig.

"That's my opinion.  I could be wrong."

73, ron wn3vaw