[TenTec] Basic question (especially NR operation)

Sinisa Hristov shristov at ptt.yu
Wed Aug 4 04:23:37 EDT 2004

Joe Giacobello wrote:

> Actually, Sinisa, I was referring to your FB writeup on the Orion where
> you recommend backing off on the RF gain until the S-meter drops back
> about 12 dB(?) or so.

No, I've never recommended such a thing, you misread it.

In my text 12 dB refers to the difference between
external noise level and RX internal noise level.

The adjustment is performed by using controls in the following order:
  * PREAMP turned off;
  * ATTN increased to 6, 12 or 18 dB;
  * RF GAIN reduced.

Actually, I've never had the need to reduce RF GAIN,
PREAMP and ATTN sufficed (on main RX).

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN