[TenTec] Orion QSK

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Wed Aug 4 16:45:36 EDT 2004

Lee,

I think the a rig needs to meet a couple of basic requirements at any and
all speeds that man is capable of working at:

1. It should not cause key clicks!
2. It should not shorten the first dit or dah
3. It should have clean break-in at least in between words
4. It should have adjustable delay in case the op doesn't wish to work QSK
5. It should have the possibility of being computer controlled (e.g. contest
logging software) and allow the computer to return the rig instantly to RX
6. All of this should work whether running barefoot or keying a QSK amp

I think it's #4 that the high speed ops dissagree with.  I guess for those
of us who can't go that fast, we can either believe it is important or not.
If the rig has clean break-in between words, then at 100 wpm, that would
mean there's an opportunity to receive a break request at least each 0.8
seconds.  That seems fast (or often)enough to me.  If an op decides to break
the other and doesn't have his hand sitting directly on the paddle, it will
take 0,8 seconds to hit it anyway.

That's my "theory", but on the other hand, everyone who shells out the bucks
for the rig is entitled to her/his own opinion.

In the beginning, the Orion did not meet all of the above requirements.  Now
it does.  I'm satisfied with mine - if I could only find an appropriate box
to put it in when traveling with it in the car.

73
Rick