[TenTec] Best Tuning Practices for Argo V?

designer designer at quickdata.com
Wed Aug 4 13:54:18 EDT 2004

I posted this in the specific Argonaut 516 newsgroup but only got one
response suggesting turning the bandwidth to the absolute minim, then
use PBT. But just in case the group here as other ideas....here's the
question:
****************
The Argonaut V is becoming my favorite rig but I do miss some of the
"signal clarifying" features of rigs that have bandpass, passband and notch
filters. If I understand it correctly - with the Argonaut, I have no
RF gain or AGC
control. I only have BandWidth and Pass Band Tuning.

Sometimes I try to listen to a SSB signal with an interfering
heterodyne. It amuses me that as I play with the filters (BW) and
PassBand (PBT) I can tune in the heterodyne REAL GOOD. But I figure if
I can eliminate the SSB signal I wanted to copy so I just hear the
heterodyne - if I knew what I was doing I might be able to eliminate
the heterodyne and just hear the desired SSB instead.

Please advise tuning techniques for this. I'm curious about what PBT
settings are used for cw/ssb/digital modes and plus or minus
directions. I've been fiddling with it and get results, but they are
more happenstance rather than actual knowledge about what I am doing.

An explanation about what "tools" are available (if other than BW and
PBT) and words about Best Practices would be great.

I understand that with the Agronaut V I've given up features for
simplicity - but I want to get the most out of that simplicity.

73,
Paul

PS: For you other Argo owners - tomorrow (Thurs) thru Sat. between 7
pm - 8 pm PDT WA7URV will be operating in the Three Sisters
Wilderness area (my back yard) on 7.140 and 14.160 with a K1. It
might be neighborly to say "hi" with the "other" QRP rig (Argo). I'm
sure SGC would be welcome to the party too.