[TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:31:18 EDT 2004

WA4OEJ:
 >My original premise was that in the automatic mode, both the 1.8 and 2.4
kHz filters were too narrow because I have difficulty copying SSB signals
that are less than 1.8 kHz.  I think that 1.8 is just too narrow for me and
possibly most SSB QSOs.  I first noticed this on a Drake R4-C that I bought
back in the late 70s (no it didn't have the Sherwood mods).

         Bernard, here's a tip for using narrow filters on SSB.  Actually I
learned
this using the FT-1000MP with both Yaesu 2.0 kHz filters installed.  Try
tuning in an SSB signal with moderate DSP bandwidth...say 2400 (roofing filter
selection is not important for this) and PBT = 0.  Next narrow DSP until
readability becomes difficult for you.  Now adjust PBT = 150 to 200 and you
should hear readability improve.  You can now probably decrease DSP BW even
lower.  For me, I get "reasonable" (not hi fi) readability down to about
15-1600 Hz Bw if I set PBT to 150-200.  Give it a try!

                                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV