[TenTec] [TEN TEC] Tennesse Dreaming

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Fri Aug 6 08:44:12 EDT 2004

See this, that I sniped off the net... It's about audio amplifiers, but
the physics is exactly the same at RF..  Notice that doubling your
signal strength (2X) only adds 1.23X to the perceived audio strength!!!

A simple chart will help to understand the relationship of the terms we
have introduced:

dB  increase - Voltage - Power - Loudness Increase Perceived
3                        1.4X       2X         1.23X
6                        2.0         4.0        1.52
10                      3.16       10          2
20                      10          100        4
40                     100    10,000      16

Looking at the chart, and starting at the left, we can see than an
increase of 3dB results in a voltage increase 1.4 times the original, a
doubling of power, and yields only a subjective increase in loudness
only 1.23 times the original. To get a doubling of loudness, it is
important to note that an increase of 10dB is necessary. And to
reproduce that volume through our loudspeakers, note that we require
ten times more power from the amplifier!

Denny