[TenTec] High Tech, Low Power,& DX (My ARGO V)

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at qsl.net
Sat Aug 7 22:16:45 EDT 2004

Larry:

I bought a TGM mini beam (the 20,15,10,6 meter version). It is an
improved version of the old miniquad made many years ago by Mini
Products in Erie, PA. The quality and materials are excellent. However,
when it came time to put it up, I chickened out about going up on the
roof. The spot that I picked out for it looked easy... from the ground.
When I got up on the ladder, the idea of working with a drill, brackets,
mast, rotor and beam on a sloping roof suddenly became very unappealing.
So, the antenna went back in the box, until I can someday invent a mast
that can be lowered or tilted to allow working on the antenna at ground
level.

I make do with a 40 meter loop which works quite well from 5 MHz up and
I have a low dipole cut for 80 meters and bent to fit in my back yard.
These antennas serve my needs well, though I don't chase DX.

I run a Paragon, Corsair, and Scout (my portable and dining room radio).
I'd like to have an Argo V someday. I've heard only good things about
it, Though it faces some tough sales competition from the JA portables
from Icom and Yaesu, i'm still a Ten Tec fan.

			73,

			Bob WB2VUF