[TenTec] Re: TenTec QSK

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Fri Aug 20 18:44:13 EDT 2004

I will try to answer each question below.

> In all the talk about Tentec QSK I am curious on how you break: One dot or
> one dash? Series of dots and/or dashes? Hold down a straight key for a
> moment? Repeatedly try one of the above until it works? What have you
found
> to be the best way?

What ever it takes to get the other station to hear you. If you have to hold
down a straight key then you may as well forget it!

> And when/why do you break? To answer a question that can't wait?
> To insert a comment that can't wait? In a contest? When you have QRM?
Under
> what conditions? Have you experienced a speed limit over which break
doesn't
> work?

I think you answered your question quiet well. My main concern is being able
to monitor my frequency while transmitting. That pretty well covers it.

> If it is understood that both stations are in a conversational mode, don't
> you both pause to let the other 'speak' thereby making QSK somewhat
> superfluous? Yes? No?

Pausing doesn't work. Just listen the typical ssb roundtable. One guy
pauses, 2 more start talking etc. What a mess. None of them can hear the
frequency while transmitting. Just last night I heard 2 cw stations yaking
away at each other. Neither had QSK. Finally, one of them did the lengthy
"your call de my call K" thing and of course he quickly realized he had been
talking to himself for several minutes. What lids! QSK helps prevent LIDISM.

> Gee, sounds like this might belong on the CW reflector, but we are talking
> about Tentec QSK. Just curious.

Yes and TenTec has been bragging about it's "legendary QSK" on the Orion.
Maybe that's all it is....a legend.

73 N4LQ Steve