[TenTec] FQR and QRQ

Mike Hyder -N4NT- mike_n4nt at charter.net
Fri Aug 20 14:38:51 EDT 2004

...love my triton !

Mike N4NT

----- Original Message -----
From: "n4lq" <n4lq at iglou.com>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: [TenTec] FQR and QRQ

There is another thing that I seldom see mentioned in all of this. Sure,
some rigs will send 80-100 wpm and yes they will do this in QSK mode BUT
will you be able to hear a beaker while sending? The Orion I had would
certainly send 42 WPM in QSK mode but was totally deaf to anyone trying
to break in. Not until you dropped down to about 15 wpm could you
actually make use of it's so-called QSK.
Last night, we ran test on the Triton IV, 544 digital. It sent excellent
cw at 100 wpm with full/working/real/live QSK and it does this with no
artifacts like clicking or thumping, just nice, smooth, wide-open QSK!
Now that's what I call a real CW rig. So my point here is: It does not
matter if a rig has QSK or not unless you can hear a breaking station at
whatever speed you are running. Not only does it not matter but a rig
that is deaf while in QSK mode is a total FAKE QSK RIG. Yes, an FQR. FQRs
are everywhere these days.
N4LQ