[TenTec] Steppir vs Orion

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Wed Aug 25 10:27:25 EDT 2004

The SteppIR cable "K2" has Orion-Steppir connections: 2-2, 3-3, 5-5,
shell-shell, and pins 7-9 jumpered at SteppIR side. This accords with
the Steppir document at
http://www.steppir.com/pdf/serial%20interface%20operation.pdf .

However, I find that the Orion requires RTS (pin 7) high before it will
communicate.  This is not the same as pin 7 on the Steppir side.  A
jumper between pins 7 & 8 on the Orion side will connect RTS and CTS for
the Orion.  This configuration works for me.  (If I only had a nickle
for every time I came to grief with modem control signals...)

Steppir should know that the K2 cable is not sufficient for the stock Orion.

Cheers,
Martin, AA6E