[TenTec] Get Rich Quick Radio Scheme (Just Kidding)

Larry Greenberg N5BEA larrylg1 at excite.com
Fri Aug 27 02:37:21 EDT 2004

I am writing this not be politically correct or too serious, but just because after looking over a lot of the comments on the reflector, I think that there are many of you who might enjoy reading or writing in a less serious tone.   I am quite  impressed with my Argo V... It has a lot of performance and technology.   There are many, many folks on here who believe that the Orion is the best rig ever... I suppose that is why there were literally hundreds of comments about , I guess what people consider a tough competitor the  7800.  It does warrant some respect...   .Ok...  To over simplify, after the fixed cost of producing a decent rig, the real reason or factor making up the selling price is "R&D" research and development.  The programing and engineering... That is the both the real cost and value of a new rig...  Not the number of power transistors or weight of the transformers! .... That is for real. (Not a joke.) Or it has been up to now....   After. reading the artic
 le in this month's CQ about the new 14 thousand  dollar (not 14 hundred, 14 thousand) imported radio in the big case soon to be on the market....  I had an idea.  If some one wanted to "get rich quick", well here is the idea.. Find a rig of proven decent performance..  Modify it just a little with very large displays and full range stereo speakers.  Go to the local high school or Jr. College and run a contest for the weirdest computer display for the software.   Next, place it in a very large case.  In order to insure more justification for a price the is more than a sports car, find an engineer or someone  to "dig up" a long schematic, it doesn't matter of what, just something no one can possibly quite understand.....   .  As the final component, this mystery circuit, take a heavy brick, insert a couple of leads and  encase it in thick plastic. (As an added benefit, this will increase the weight.)  Attach the leads to a couple of the boards where they will be noticed.  Now,
  we already know that in order to sell the rigs there must be a shortage and waiting lists.  This all only leads to one question.... Where will it end?Larry GreenbergN5BEA