[n4pysoftware] Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions (Sweep Function)

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 11:08:32 EDT 2004

Joe,

You might want to increase the RX IF output level of
the transverter slightly. Be careful though to not
advance it too far. The best way to setup the DEMI
transverters is to peak the noise level of the GaAs
FET input stage of the transverter (covered in the
DEMI documentation). The noise peak as you may recall
from the DEMI documentation is also very close to the
best noise figure point. It is the best NF point that
we are interested in. You would need good test
equipment to improve it beyond just peaking the
background noise.

Once that is set then set the transverters RX IF gain
pot such that the receivers background noise rises
just perceptably when you turn the transverter on.
Anything more than that will be detrimental to the
strong signal dynamic range of the transverter/IF
radio system, and anything less will not provide the
full available sensitivity of the transverter.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj