[TenTec] QSK CW on the Orion

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sun Dec 5 17:14:26 EST 2004

I have a general QSK question.  To be honest, I'm not much of a CW
operator, but one of my projects for this winter is to spend a lot more
time on CW.  Since I have an Orion this applies to the Orion, but
probably to other TT rigs as well.

My problem is that I have trouble sending when I hear off frequency
signals and noise between code elements. Sending is not yet automatic
for me and I rely on hearing my side tone. When I hear other noise
between the sent elements, I mess up my own sending. How do you QSK pros
deal with that?

Also, has anyone noticed that the internal keyer in the Orion seems to
miss paddle closures once in a while?  For example, sending a Q with
other keyers, I would wait until the second dash started and tap the dot
paddle. With the Orion, I find that I need to hold the dot paddle
slightly longer or start it slightly later or I will get an O instead of
a Q.  This was at 15 WPM.

73,
Mark