[TenTec] WTB: Orion with AT

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Dec 7 09:36:33 EST 2004

Chuck, take the Orion and the Harley :-)

The main difference is that on the Orion (not the Pro), the bugs will
eventually get fixed.  We don't know what bugs the Pro III might bring, but
it's my understanding that there are no field software updates foreseen for
it.

99% of what you read here about bugs are indeed trivial and eventually get
fixed.  It's a bit out of context now days because the Orion has been on the
market so long that people have stopped posting how great the Orion and how
outstanding it is.  That bit is just taken for granted now.

We're seeing more and more contesters now using Orions and after contests
are over, we are reading good stuff about the Orions' performance in the
contest.  I can't recall anyone posting recently that they wish they had had
another rig in the contest they just completed.

There's only one reason I would want a ProIII over the Orion and that's if I
wanted color.  Then again, if I wanted color, I'd buy a TV set, not a radio.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Chuck (Jack) Hawley
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 6:14 AM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] WTB: Orion with AT

Along these lines of buying a used Orion...
Were there any modifications other than downloadable software changes since
the Orion first shipped?
I keep wanting to buy one...new mostly...and then someone posts a comment
about the volume pot or something has a dead spot...or the screen hangs up.
Then I start looking harder at the Pro III. The trouble is that I have had
the most fun with the Omni VI+ since I have had to fix a couple of things
(lightning or something broke the swr bridge and a surface mount opamp),
install Inrad filters, and set the frequency trimmers on the bfo's, ref osc,
and band osc's several times. I think it is almost perfect now. One thing is
that I lose one of the 160M band registers sometimes and have to reset to
get it back...loosing the memories I wish to keep.
Anyway...what to do...Orion or Icom...Orion or Icom...Harley or dinette
set...
Chuck, KE9UW