[TenTec] Orion Mic Woe's toby423@earthlink.net

N0KHQ at aol.com N0KHQ at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 12:23:14 EST 2004

NJ0lP - Rick Wrote:

Here's what I found inside.

There are three wires (Red, Black, &  Clear).
The cable's shield actually only shields the clear wire.
There is  no shield for the red or black wires.

It seems to me I would need a  shield around the wire I choose for Mic- as
well as the clear one which will  be Mic+.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I hope so because I won't be able to get  any other cable
or wire until Monday.

Otherwise I'll just do it as you  suggest.

End NJ0lP Writings

N0KHQ's Comments Begins:

Hi Rick,

Toby is right.

In your case, take the "Clear wire" and connect it to pin# 1(mic  send +),
Take the shield and bring it out of the connector and wrap it  around one of the
screws that is used to secure the mic cord. Choose one of the  remaining
wires as (mic -) this wire will connect to Pin# 2 (mic return -). The  last
remaining wire (PTT) will connect to Pin# 3. There you go.

You are right though. The Mic Send + and Mic Return - should be surrounded
by a shield, these are your audio lines and should be shielded from the PTT
(Pin# 3) and +9VDC (Pin# 4).

When you get a chance pick up some audio cable from Bob Heil, its good  stuff
and it works.

Don't you just love wiring mic connectors.

Have fun

John / N0KHQ