[TenTec] Orion - Work in Progress - Part 1

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 13 19:51:30 EST 2004

N0KHQ gives some very interesting tips ... to make the new Ten Tec gear
be less "RFI sensitive" ... most of which is worthy of consideration until:

>Some hams get a little confused when talking about Grounding for RF and
>Grounding for Lightning protection. They are not the same and should be
>addressed separately. Grounding for Lightning protection will do very
>little
>or  RF grounding. But Grounding for RF will help with Lightning
>protection.
>
>Most ham radio books illustrate a typical station grounding system, where
>you have this big copper plate or bar behind your station and every piece
>of
>your equipment is supposed to be grounded to this bar and then a wire runs
>from
>this bar outdoors to a grounding rod. This illustration is 100% totally
>wrong
>and does result in the biggest ground loop in the history of Amateur
>Radio.

Gee, give the pros have it all wrong then? Check the Polyphaser site and
others.

I would strongly suggest NOT ignoring local codes and such ... unless N0KHQ
is
willing to personally replace anyone's gear that gets damaged from doing
things as
he has described ... lots of his text is OK, but not the parapgraphs above.
I would
suggest everyone conducting their own due diligence and see what the pros do

Season's Greetings to All,

73 Billy AA4NU