[TenTec] Orion - Work in Progress - Part 1 - WHOA!

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 13 20:02:01 EST 2004

N0KHQ provides many interesting tips ... to make the new Ten Tec gear
be less "RFI sensitive" ... most of which is worthy of consideration until:

>Some hams get a little confused when talking about Grounding for RF and
>Grounding for Lightning protection. They are not the same and should be
>addressed separately. Grounding for Lightning protection will do very
>little or RF grounding. But Grounding for RF will help with Lightning
>protection.
>
>Most ham radio books illustrate a typical station grounding system, where
>you have this big copper plate or bar behind your station and every piece
>of your equipment is supposed to be grounded to this bar and then a wire
>runs from this bar outdoors to a grounding rod. This illustration is 100%
>totally wrong and does result in the biggest ground loop in the history of
>Amateur Radio.

Really? Didn't you post similar before and got challenged on this topic for
posting advice that might lead to others being exposed to real damage?

Gee, guess the pros have it all wrong then?

Check the Polyphaser site and others for accurate descriptions as to
how to create a SPG <single point ground>. For example, you need
to tie in your telephone lines, and CATV, etc. for complete protection
and no sneek paths ... and ... use the right size conductors for the site.

I would strongly suggest NOT ignoring local codes and such ... unless
N0KHQ is willing to personally replace anyone's gear that gets damaged
from doing things as he has described ... lots of his text is OK, but not
the paragraphs above. Here's the bottom line, it's your gear lost, not his,
especially if you live in a area with frequent lightning damage issues.

I would suggest everyone conducting their own due diligence and see
what the pros do ... also you can check W8JI's posts on the other
CQ-Contesting forums as to his advice too as to solid methods.

Again, lots of useful info as to trying to keep the RF out of the newer
Ten-Tec gear in his posts, but BE VERY CAREFUL as to exposing
your gear and home to what might result in serious damage. .

Season's Greetings to All,

73 Billy AA4NU