[TenTec] Centurian 422 vs Titan III

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wb5oxq at grandecom.net
Sun Dec 19 16:33:51 EST 2004

I have owned a Centurion for years, I don't remember how long but over 5
years I know.  I bought it used and with the original tubes in it.  It will
make at least 1300 watts with 100 in on all bands except 10 where it only
made 1100 but my omni 6+ may have made less tha 100 watts of drive too, I
never checked.  I have tried to use it onj 160 but it has distroyed every
antenna I have tried to use and I do nto have room for a full size 1/2 wave
dipole.  The output meter would show 1500 into the dummy load on 160 and my
antennas could not take the power.  I have used it on 3,885 am and with 25
watts in it makes about 400+ watts of carries and easily modulates way
beyond that.  It is fairly quiet and I have never used it on CW, only am and
ssb. I am told with graphite tubes and a couple of small mods it will do
over 1500.  I do not care because i am not convinced anyone would notice the
difference in 1200 and 1500 watts!  It is quick and easy to tune and has
never arced in me on any band.  It can run on 110 vac but it is not
recommended and I have always run mine on 220vac.  Absoutely no problems of
me.
WB5OXQ, Jim in Waco.