[TenTec] AGC pop one last time...

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 17:33:54 EST 2004

I've not heard a bunch of "me too's" so wonder if my experience is
unique and therefore a hardware problem or it's experienced by others
and they are not bothered.  If it's unique, then I'll ship my rig back
to TT.  If it's common, well, I'll just suck it up and act like a
man....

I operate CW almost exclusively and often on split frequency.  It is
very noticeable on either 64 ohm phones or my 8 ohm phones with 100 ohm
resistors pads.  I seldom listen to CW thru the speaker.

Whenever the AGC has to correct more than about 3 s units, I hear a pop
or distortion on the first character.  Obviously, if I add lots of
Decay or Hang, there is not as much opportunity for the popping cuz the
AGC doesn't have to react to that much change in signal strength
between words.  Like everyone else I get clicking while operating QSK
if the band is noisy or the QSK delay is low.  That is not what I'm
talking about here--this is AGC associated popping during reception
only.

Changing or turning off the NB, hardware NB, NR, AF, BW etc. do not
improve this effect.  Master resets, RAM clears have no impact.  I've
experienced it on 1.371 and 1.372.

Am I alone here?

tnx, Gary W7TEA