[TenTec] InRAD 2.1 kHz Filter for the Argonaut 509 (The Argo fromHell)

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Dec 22 02:56:14 EST 2004

Dear Rich with the radio from hell,

The original SSB board in the 505 used 4 crystals soldered directly to the
board.  Later models used filters with the 4 crystals mounted to a small PC
board.   The latter was easy to swap.  The original a bit more difficult.

I installed an XF9-B (8-pole 2.4 kHz) filter on my 505's board.
Mechanically, I had to relocate several parts to make room.  I also ended up
having to change the oscillator crystal because I couldn't pull the original
crystal far enough to hit the right bandpass thru the filter.

Lesson learned was to pay attention to filters' exact center frequency.
You probably already know this since you've done many filter swaps, but just
in case...

Once the new crystal was in, everything tuned and worked just fine.

Keep us posted on the repair as well as the crystal filter swap.  If the
filter swap works OK, I might do the same for my 515.

73
Rick