[TenTec] Contest Data and Conclusions

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 24 07:44:22 EST 2004

AA4NU wrote:

 >M/M comparisons might not be the best to use ... many times
due to not enough ops ... some bands don't get as much time
as a single op might be able to ... or new/growing ops ... or prop.

         No, for a single band operator, they are the best comparison.
The top tier multi-multi's (KC1XX, K3LR, W3LPL and K9NS) typically
have at least 2 operators per band at all times the band is open.
The bands all get maximum time...probably more than I use because
I get bored calling CQ into a nearly dead band, yet they continuously
have at least one position CQ-ing while the other position may be
scanning (either manually tuning or chasing packet spots, which I
don't have access to).  In the past 6 seasons I've been doing SOSB10,
I've only beaten ALL multi-multi's three times in the CQ WW contests,
and two of those were using Orion in 2004 (last year I was only
6 QSO's behind K9NS in the CQ WW SSB so that's an "almost" 3 out of
4).

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_6.htm

 >Oh, didn't KC1XX also add a pair of Orions to his stable too?

         K1GQ and W1FV bring their Orions, but I believe they operated
on 80 and 20 this year.  KC1XX uses IC-781's on all other bands.

 >N4ZR via the PVRC, keeps a database of many of the contest
stations ... it's an interesting site to study to see just how many
Orions have made it to the desktops compared to 'other gear'

<http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/specialized_database_searches.htm>http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/specialized_database_searches.htm

 >Try Orion ... note the count, and then try other gear such as the MP,
or the VI, or ??? ...

         Well let's think about that...how long has the MP + variants
been out?  9 years.  And the Omni VI?  Even longer.  And Orion?
Not quite 2 years yet.  As I said before, I actually hope competitors
don't buy (or learn to use) an Orion.  Results (measurements, scores,
etc) mean much more to me than opinons.

 >Again, TT has an interesting opportunity before them ... may
they seize the day and grow their market share by offering a
superior product AND a similar level of support.

         I feel they are there on both counts.  The superiority of their
product has already been established by ARRL, RSGB, Sherwood,
W8JI and others.  The superiority of their support can be tested
by picking up a telephone and comparing their support to any of
the 3 majors.  Just try calling Yaesu to ask them if they will
fix your brand new MP's clicks for starters. ;-)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV