[TenTec] Re: Decision Made

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Fri Dec 24 12:34:42 EST 2004

KD7EFQ at aol.com wrote:

>However after NOT seeing a CONSISTENT "it's all OK now" and seeing nothing
>but consistent controversy about Orion, I believe I will go with a new PRO III
>for my next rig if it's receiver specs are comparable to an Omni 5 or 6. I
>still think Ten Tec is an excellent manufacturer with a great history of rigs,
>(and I'm keeping my TT accessories) but I'm getting the feeling that Orion has
>become the Paragon of the 21st century, and not suited for my casual style of
>operating. Too many "loose ends" with it for me....

And what exactly is the problem with the Paragon? Here it is nearly 2005
and this Paragon at my station is a joy to operate with the only issue
for me is the lack of computer interfacing :( .... and I guess I would
classify myself as generally a 'casual' operator. So not sure I think
that is a 'nice' comparison. However, I do agree that there is an awful
lot of polarizing Orion talk. I'd been planning to eventually obtain an
Orion since I first heard of them.  Subsequently I have personally
experienced a lot of SDR's current strenghts and weaknesses (I wrote
about my exposure to SDR before) and I"m not convinced that SDR is a
good alternative to plan old good descrete circuit design.... not yet
anyway.

No, I haven't as yet tried an Orion (too much money for a test drive)
but one may eventually find its way to my shack but probably not till
they evolve more. If I had to rebuild my station today from scratch I
would probably look for another Omni-V+/Paragon combo although I think
an Omni-V.9/Paragon II combo would be more to my liking. I can,
however,  understand why KD7EFQ choose  a Pro III. I have a couple hours
of familiarization specifically with the Pro III  (and I've used
friends' 756, 756 Pro, etc) and the Pro III is an incredibly intuitive
design with a quality feel... a very quiet and easy to listen to
receiver.... what I would want and expect from Ten-Tec in an Orion!

So just what was so wrong with the Paragon? :)

'Tis the season to be jolly!'

73,
Jerald, KG6TT