[TenTec] Re: Decision Made

Gary Tuck garyltuck at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 15:25:35 EST 2004

I agree Bernard.  The only problems I=92ve really had have been with =
1.372.
It fixed issues in 1.371 which weren=92t problems for me and introduced =
a few
rough spots which did bother me.  I went back to 1.371 and am happy.
Looking forward to all being fixed in 1.373.  The rig has been very =
stable
and I operate CW almost exclusively.  My shack is on the second floor =
with a
ground rod some 15 feet away.  I use wire counterpoises on the rig and =
the
external tuner.  The antenna is a low 80 meter loop not 25 feet away.  =
I=92ve
not had RFI problems that I=92ve noted.  When I did operate SSB with the =
706
mike I had only good reports.  I=92ve owned a string of Kenwood =
rigs=97820, 830,
940 and 850.  Each had its issues as well.  My favorite, the TS-850s, =
was
great on CW with narrow filters but you couldn=92t adjust the sidetone
externally and the NB was near useless on the noise I get here.  I ended =
up
getting an external DSP filter, making a external headphone interface =
with
an L-Pad and jimmied the controls to get the right balance between
controlling noise, spotting frequency, sidetone and headphone volume.  =
The
Orion does this effortlessly with outstanding NR/NB functions I think.  =
I=92m
keeping the 850s but the Orion is a much better rig=97but of course 10 =
years
newer. =20

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.