[TenTec] ARGOSY II as a 'new' QRP rig

Bill_Harris w7kxb at comcast.net
Sat Dec 25 16:28:22 EST 2004

You'll receive many varied opinions on you question.

Yes, they are entirely different rigs.  If you like to build, then the K1 will suit you best.  Great little rig to operate as well.  I have a Argo II/D as well and I would say the K1 is somewhat better in sensitivity.  You can take the K1 on outings and operate for several hours on several alkaline batteries. And with the AT option, operate with just a hunk of wire over a tree limb.  Don't foget the counterpoise however.  The K1 has a much smaller footprint on the desk.

The Argo 2D that you discribed, will give you a lot of radio for the money. Has about ten times the power output capability.  If you are not interested in building your own and operate from the home qth only, then I would say, IMHO, the 525D is the route for you. YMMV of course.

Wish you well on you choice.

Carry on
Bill_Harris