[TenTec] Re: keying loops

w9ge finger at goeaston.net
Mon Dec 27 14:28:32 EST 2004

Perhaps I had better explain things a bit more.  I had a series of problems in Jan/Feb of 2004 with my Orion.  Both of my amps had to be configured with PTT for them to work.  Then things got progressively worse.  Ten Tec was able to duplicate my problem in the lab, and consequently they added the "bug" to their firmware updates list.  To complicate things, I had a progressively failing board in my Orion at the same time, which Ten Tec replaced under warranty in Mar 2004.  It was the CPU/DSP board for those interested.  Symptoms were that the Orion would lose output while keying in cw, noticeable on the scope and wattmeter but not on the alc light which flickered just like always.  Since the repair I have left both amps set for "ptt" rather than use the keying loops.

In talking with Tommy recently, I told him of my past anomoly.  Today I reconfigured my Ten Tec Titan 425 for qsk on loop 2 and left my Alpha 78 hooked up as a "ptt" configuration.  Initial testing reveals that everything seems to work as it should on both amps.  The 425 output looks just fine on the scope.  This is with 1.372 loaded.  I will retain this configuration and tolerate the clacking vacuum relay for a while to see if it continues to function as it should.  ( I only use the 425 on the WARC bands, and then rarely, except during contests so it may not get much of a workout for a while)

I cannot explain Carls experience, except to say I never tried my Orion with only a single amp connected.  Perhaps those who experience a similar problem as mine should suspect the CPU/DSP board?  I sure hope not!  By the way my Orion is a latter 2003 model.  73 and happy new year bob de w9ge