More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 21:34:07 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/7/04 6:23:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, nq5t at comcast.net
writes:

Not sure why we keep going back to those "tests".  Even John Devoldere
very politely did what he could to try and debunk that particular urban
legend in his Orion review.

Because we want to and because there is something to it.
ON4UN is nice guy, I respect him, but he is not gospel. Did he tried to
measure or replicate the tests? I remember him praising MKV (worst of FT1k's), how
much better it is than 1000D.  Also his remark about not being able to use
synchro receiver on Orion, when all you have to do is offset the RIT on one of
them.

K6SE tests are not urban legend. He is one of the top and accomplished hams,
he knows the stuff and if you knew more about it, you might be more inclined
to have closer look at the problem rather than ridiculing and singing praises
and hallelujahs about crap. I will repeat his test under perhaps more
controlled situation, but so far what I have seen, I agree with Earl's conclusions.

Orion has some remarkable and advanced features, but quite a few rough edges
especially for the competitive hams. It was supposed to be amazing rig for
contesters, but so far for the money it comes short on ergonomics. Cheap IC706 or
K2 could give it some lessons in that directions.

Your posts smell by the blind devotion to Ten-Tec things, even if they do not
deserve it. Get real! It doesn't help anybody to keep proclaiming that
emperor has nice clothes.

73 Yuri, K3BU