More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

Barry N1EU n1eu at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 19:59:44 EST 2004

--- K3BU at aol.com wrote:
> K6SE tests are not urban legend. He is one of the
> top and accomplished hams,
> he knows the stuff and if you knew more about it,
> you might be more inclined
> to have closer look at the problem rather than
> ridiculing and singing praises
> and hallelujahs about crap. I will repeat his test
> under perhaps more
> controlled situation, but so far what I have seen, I
> agree with Earl's conclusions.

I searched for a weak signal on a relatively quiet
band to conduct an experiment comparing the Orion with
a FT-1000D.  The Orion actually did sound a little
noisier than I thought it would although I think the
s/n ratio winner was a toss up, but you be the judge:

http://n1eu.tripod.com/orion/1000D_compar.mp3

It's a 2-1/2 minute clip of a slow weak cw signal
starting with the Orion and switching back and forth
with audible switch pops.  A couple of times you can
hear me adjust the Orion AGC.  250hz bandwith was used
on both receivers (1Khz roofing filter on the Orion,
preamp on).

73,
Barry N1EU