[TenTec] Rubbing the crystal ball...gently

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Wed Feb 11 17:11:57 EST 2004

At 11:16 AM 2/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
>When a company loses its brainiest employee (Doug Smith), it's time for
>black crepe, it seems to me, rather than sentiments such as he won't be
>missed because his work was done. One thing Smith's departure shows is how
>difficult it is to recruit and retain top-notch talent in locations such
>as East Tennessee. Virginia Tech, located not far from Sevierville in
>Blacksburg, Virginia, has the same recruiting/retention problems for its
>engineering faculty. Appalachia is not Austin, Texas, or northern
>Virginia, if you get my drift.
>
>As I recall, Scott Robbins said on this reflector some time ago that
>Ten-Tec had no plans for a Jupiter + (or Orion -). That leaves the
>Argonaut V, which is the world's best 20-watt transceiver, the Jupiter,
>and the new Orion. Given that product line-up, seemingly set in concrete,
>and no brainy innovators on board (don't forget Allan Kaplan is gone,
>too), and no new rigs in the pipeline, it is somewhat of  a gamble IMHO
>that sales of these three transceivers will be sufficient to keep T-T's
>ham business afloat indefinitely. Of course, T-T has other businesses and
>is not dependent on just the ham business.

John:

I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded - - -

Doug did make a contribution to the engineering effort while he was
employed here, but we're not dependent on anyone to continue doing
what we're doing.  Personnel changes at any company are just a fact of
life - Doug is going to do contract work for Rockwell-Collins;
one of Rockwell-Collins' former employees is engineering receivers for us.
And so it goes.  We still have a lot of smart guys working here.

Allan Kaplan is still around, though not putting in 40 hours a week in
the engineering department.  (Hi Allan - I know you're reading this.)
We see Allan here quite a bit - and he's going with Stan Brock
to the Orlando Hamcation this weekend to represent Ten-Tec.

 >>As I recall, Scott Robbins said on this reflector some time ago that
 >>Ten-Tec had no plans for a Jupiter + (or Orion -).

Yes - no plans for a stripped down transceiver using the Orion's main
receiver as its basis, that's true.   We're constantly working on new
projects - not all of them see the light of day, but there will be more ham
equipment from us off into the future.

>In the meantime, as has been noted, ICOM is marketing a new transceiver to
>hams for about ten grand, but this rig is designed primarily for the
>government/commercial market and will stand or fall on its reception
>there, where sales run into the tens of thousands over many years. Ham
>sales will be gravy. The next new ham rig from ICOM likely will be a
>successor to the 756PRO II using some of the circuitry from the ten grand rig.
>
>73,
>
>John, W3ULS
>Owner of OMNI VI, Argonaut V, IC-746PRO & FT-920

Ham radio sure is getting interesting, isn't it?

73
Scott Robbins
W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!