[TenTec] Experimental software for Orion

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Tue Feb 24 11:14:07 EST 2004

I have posted my humble attempts to deal with Orion's serial port interface.
This early version only tries to reproduce the LCD front panel on the computer
screen in semi-graphical text form.  The program "OCTL" is written in Python and
should run on Linux, Windows, and Mac, but you'll have to get Python from
www.python.org if you don't have it, along with pyserial from
pyserial.sourceforge.net.

This is free open-source software (FOSS), so it may help save some time for
other would-be programmers.  I don't claim it's a stylistic gem, but it does
make some efforts to be robust in the face of a less-than-bulletproof Orion
control system.

The current goal is to control the Orion through a VT100 glass teletype.  You're
not allowed to ask why.

OCTL is available through the Orion Web Log at www.aa6e.net/aa6e/blog.

73 Martin