[TenTec] Jupiter vs IC-746PRO

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Tue Feb 24 13:06:05 EST 2004

Thanks, Rick and Mark and Steve:

I should have mentioned I am a retro guy who likes CW most of all, prefers
simplicity in controls, etc., and regards computers as a necessary evil.

However, I do enjoy being in a contest, but I'm not a die-hard, so to
speak. I live near a truly serious contester who came close over the
weekend to topping the North America all-time score. His team made well
over 6000 QSOs. Pre-contest preparation included erection of a 195-foot
tower for two stacked 40-meter beams. (You can see his entire set-up at
K4JA.com and I can see it on the way to my boat. Unbelievable.)

When I ranked transceivers I thought worked well for me, I was using a
Carolina Windom 80. With any of the transceivers I used, K4JA was working
stations I could not hear at all. If you want to work really weak signals,
there's no substitute for stacked beams on a 195-foot tower! I wonder how
my 1953-vintage S-40B would have handled that kind of signal input?

Bottom line: as an unreconstructible retro person, I'm keeping the OMNI VI.

73 es tnx agn,
John, W3ULS