[TenTec] OMNI 6 Display glitch

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 08:57:29 EST 2004

Chuck wrote: I don't quite understand the original
post...

Chuck and all,

Thanks for the specific info about DG7.

To clarify, the problem I encountered was the
brightness of the S-meter and the frequency digits
going from factory default (full bright) to full dim -
randomly. It only happened a couple times and was
corrected by going in then immediately out of the
CHOOSE menu (press and hold LOCK key). It seems
consistent with Pete's suggestion of a loose molex
connector for the 13.8v, it has not occured since I
changed the connector. Others have posted about
the very slight dimming that occurs when the SPLIT or
VOX button is activated, it's very slight and has
happened on all three 6+ transceivers I've owned.

I've had this 6+ for a month now and just sold my
756p.

I ordered the rig with the TCXO then installed Inrad
2.8's (2) and one Inrad 400hz. I think this is the
best setup for excellent SSB -and- CW of any
transceiver available. Pure QSO satisfaction without
too many distractions or preoccupations with the rig
itself. Press the filter buttons to select the stock
SSB filters and insertion loss goes up, fidelity goes
down - plain and obvious. In 2004 I think you need the
extra 2.8 khz fidelty that was not typical in
transmitted SSB a few years ago.

I kept the spectrum scope off of the 756p and
displayed the filter graphics instead. I found myself
too often mollified by the colorful light show. It's
the QSO that's really more enjoyable once you get past
the display!

73,
de WB8YQJ Don

RE: [TenTec] OMNI 6 Display glitch
from [Chuck (Jack) Hawley] [Permanent Link][Original]

A digit DG7 from the LED display driver board is used
to adjust the
brightness of the meter lamp thru a small op amp ckt.
I figure that the duty
cycle of DG7 should remain the same, but maybe the
height of the pulses
changes a little as LEDs are turned on by the LED
display driver board and
the integrating meter brightness ckt is a little
sensitive to the amplitude
of these pulses.