[TenTec] Orion Schematics and Service info

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Wed Jan 7 16:13:49 EST 2004

I agree. There needs to be a good overview schematic and it looks like a
number of circuits are abbreviated in block form without sufficient detail
to see how they work. When I had trouble with my PA, I couldn't piece
together the drive chain.

Even more important, there should be a service manual with details on how to
do all of the internal adjustments.

I can't reconcile the lack of good schematics and service manual with Ten
Tec's stated position that they encourage owners to "open the box." Can't do
much if you can't follow the signal path, perform voltage/current/signal
tests, and align the rig!

Here's an example: One day, the passband on my FT-1000D was suddenly in the
wrong place -- offset several KHz. I did all the usual checks to make sure
it wasn't pilot error, then popped the cover. I ran through the test and
alignment procedures laid out very clearly in the 1000D Service Manual. When
I got to the LO adjustments, I found that they could not be brought into
proper range. A quick check of the TXCO main oscillator revealed that it was
way off and could not be brought into spec. I removed the metal cover and
found that a tiny chip resistor had popped off its solder pad -- i.e., a bad
solder joint. I resoldered the connection, remounted the can, realigned the
oscillators, popped the cover back on, and saved myself a bunch of time,
money and aggravation sending the rig back to Yaesu. I'm sure they would be
delighted if they knew -- I doubt they make much money, if any, on service.

I could not have done the job without a service manual and good schematics.
I have had and made use of service manuals for just about every rig I've
ever owned. I find it extraordinary that a rig of the price and quality of
the Orion does not have a service manual and complete schematics. The Orion
is clearly targeted at advanced users, so these items would seem very
appropriate. Given the relatively simple hardware design, a service manual
would seem even more appropriate.

Scott, is there any hope of a change in this area for Orion? I realize that
Ten Tec "has never done that", but the Orion is a whole new kind of rig,
right ;-)

73, Dick WC1M