[TenTec] 600 Hz @ 9.001500 MHz Roofing Filter Status (Orion only)

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 18 07:52:55 EST 2004

Hi all,

	I now have 10 firm indications for orders, which is Inrad's
minimum.  I've already contacted W2VJN and he is now checking
with his suppliers for delivery status, etc.  As he says on his webpage,
special orders can take 10 weeks.  If I get any more indications before
I actually place the order with George, it will be simple to add a few
more, but once the order is in, more will be impossible unless someone
else decides to collect another order for 10.  The cost will be $40
which includes the $24 kit, $10 Ten-Tec compatible pc board with pins
and Priority shipping to US addresses.

	The only functionality loss with substituting the 600 Hz in the
1000 Hz position will be:

1.  Auto filter selection will activate the 600 Hz at the current set point of
750 Hz.  The 612 Hz filter is actually closer to this than the stock 1070
Hz filter, and the skirts are only 12 dB down at a 750 Hz BW, so I do
not see this as a major issue.

2.  There is no "C.F. Adj" mode for the 1000 position like there is for
the 500/250.  With 612 Hz bandwidth I do not see this as a big deal
if it is not exactly centered.  If you are a perfectionist, you can do this
by adjusting PBT slightly.

	Regarding assembly, it should be quite simple.  W2VJN says:

"If I were building this for my own use, I would cut a piece of Radio Shack
proto board and fasten the whole assy on the Inrad plug in board.  Of
course, it's also possible to do some drilling and pc cutting and mount all
the parts directly on the Inrad board."

George also said soldering the SMT capacitors does not require a
special soldering iron and they are quite rugged.

	If anyone else is interested, let me know soon.  I will also be
asking those who indicated interest to send me a check or PayPal
when we are ready to finalize the order.

				73,  Bill  W4ZV