[TenTec] Re: Hercules versus Hercules II

Mike Hyder -N4NT- mike_n4nt at charter.net
Sat Jul 3 17:52:37 EDT 2004

My Hercules 444 caught fire (oscillation), burning up a board or two.
Ten-Tec reluctantly fixed it -- I think they may have had to fabricate new
boards.  Then they said NO MORE Hercules 444 repairs.  This was because the
power devices were no longer available and substitutes had too high gain and
would oscillate, burning up a board or two.

Therefore, be advised that if you do not already own a Hercules 444 you
might want to think twice before acquiring one.

Steve is right about the fan.  It is thermostatically controlled and sounds
like a 707 jet when running slow and a 747 in full throttle reverse when
warm.

73, Mike N4NT