[TenTec] Why is the Jupiter better?

Joe n9vx at myway.com
Wed Jul 7 10:58:27 EDT 2004

I have owned both the Jupiter and the IC-746PRO and would pick the Jupiter. My mode of operation is ssb rag chew, so can not address cw, contesting, digital modes and etc.

The 746PRO does have digital filters on receive and you can change the filter shape (sharp or soft), it has treble and bass EQ control for transmit and receive, the transmit audio is very punchy using compression without distorting the audio, you can change the transmit bandwidth in 3 steps from 2.8k to 2.0k. This radio has a much clearer display screen than the Jupiter (wish TT would take a look) and it has 6 and 2 meters. I personally would not use the free noisy (fan) power supply. You would have the transmit failure problem to worry about.

The Jupiter/Pegasus is the quietest receiver I have ever had, have had the FT-1000MP, TS-870, IC-746, IC-746PRO, IC-756PRO, IC-775DSP. The Jupiter is quieter with no NR than the 756PRO is with NR turned on. You can reduce the receive filter bandwidth and the noise just rolls off of a weak signal, on some dsp radios (TS-870) reducing the filter width has no change on receiver noise. For my needs I would not want the antenna tuner in the Jupiter, the Jupiter will put out full power at 3:1 or better, so the tuner is just something else to hassle with.

My present station is a Pegasus and a IC-756PRO. I love to try various radios, but do not plan on ever not having a Jupiter or Pegasus.

So... this is my opinion.

Good luck,  Joe  N9VX