[TenTec] Why is the Jupiter better?

John Clifford johnclif at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 7 14:43:23 EDT 2004

Well, the built-in tuner from Icom is nowhere near as capable as the
LDG-supplied autotuner in the Jupiter.  The Icom's tuner (I believe) only
matches a 3:1 or better SWR, while the LDG will do 10:1.  So, unless your
antennas are cut for the bands you intend to use, you will need an external
tuner with the Icom anyway.  Add a couple hundred bucks to its price.  (I
know this is heresy, but I'd get an external autotuner so that I could use
it with any rig.)

When firmware updates come out for the 746 PRO, it will be in the form of a
new model (746 PRO II?).  When firmware updates come out for the Jupiter, it
will be in the form of a download so your Jupiter is always the latest and
greatest.

You have a lot more filter choices in the Jupiter.  You have a prettier
display on the Icom.

Seriously... I doubt there's a contact you can make with one that you can't
make with the other (and that's true of most radios out there today).  Icom
seems to be concentrating on aesthetic appeal -- IMO the 746 PRO is 'better
looking' than the Jupiter -- while Ten-Tec seems to be concentrating on
basic performance (with less key clicks on transmit, etc.).  If you ever
want to use an amp with your rig the Ten-Tec would definitely be the better
choice.  And then there's the finals problem on the Icom as well as the
inability to upgrade firmware.  Also, don't forget Ten-Tec's awesome
customer support (whether people like or hate the radios just about everyone
agrees that Ten-Tec support is the best in the industry).  You won't wait
for weeks while parts are imported.

still choose the Jupiter over the 746 PRO because of the design of the
product, its performance features, and the quality of support offered by the
manufacturer.

That's my opinion...

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1, Centaur, 238B
Alinco DR-605TQ, DJ-V5
Icom T90A

IRLP #3978